Die Wörner-Chronik

Familienbild mit allen Brüdern, anklicken zum Vergroeßern.
Family picture with all brothers
Anna Dumbacher & Karl Wörner
Rita Anna Karl Maria
Rita Friedhilde Anna Maria Karl Josef

Karl Wörner
geb. 12.06.1897,
gest. 22.08.1979

verh. 14.08.1923

Anna Dumbacher
geb. 26.11 .1902, 
gest. 11 .09.1967

5 Kinder Rita Maria Josef Friedhilde Antonie

geh. 12.03.1925 ledig
gest. 09.01.2008

geb. 24.05.1926

verheiratet 22.01 .1953

Anton Grimm
geb. 19.08.1926 in Kirchzell 

1 Kind

Karl-Heinz Grimm verheiratet Verena Eck
geb. 04.01.1958 05. 09.1981 geb. 05.04.1961 

2 Kinder Viktoria | Antonia
04.01.1985 | 22.05.1989


Josef verheiratet Erna Todt

geb. 22.09.1929 27.06.1964 geb. 01 .10.1935 2 Kinder Klaus/Monika


geb. 02.08.1967 ledig)

Monika verheiratet Michael Busch

geb. 27.10.1965 26.08.1989 geb. 19.05.1965 in Großheubach 

2 Kinder Sabrina l Dominik

09.03.1992 20.08.1995


geb. 26.05.1935

verheiratet 29.05.1957

Karl-Heinz Meyer
geb. 19.03.1926 in Saarbrücken
gest. 03.03.1988 

3 Kinder Jörg | Bernd l Andreas



Antonie verheiratet Robert Kuhn

geb. 09.01.1938 29.08.1963 geb. 11 .11 .1940 1 Kind Birgit

Birgit Kuhn verheiratet Wolfgang Bayer

geb. 22.05.1964 07.05.1983 geb.14.02.1963 

3 Kinder 

Julia | Sebastian | Lukas

1.03.1985/ 25.12.1989/ 05.08.1996

Das komplette PDF-Dokument in Deutsch:

Wörner family chronicle

all translations Chris deBoy NJ


of the Family

of Karl and Rosina Wörner

in Gönz

by Miltenberg




Soon after the World War of 1914-1918 a thought came to me and would not let me go: our family had played a very painful but also a very honorable and gallant role in the World War. Of seven sons, six had to take up arms and defend the Fatherland. Taken together, they performed over 25 years of military service, 12 of those years standing at the front before the enemy. Such deeds must be recorded and handed down to our ancestors! This thought led me to action. The action is this "Family Chronicle."


I collected the necessary material and received for each of the individual brothers the official as well as the private reports concerning the most important events from their wartime experiences. Numerous field letters and postcards were saved in the attic, as well as pictures of family members. These pictures I copied 6 times in order to make 6 separate chronicles. With only one thing I was not successful: the writing of the entire chronicle 6 times. A most important pastoral duty was the obstacle. It had to do with the fact that I had to take a mandatory, seven month long "vacation!"


Because of my opposition to the misteachings of National Socialism and the methods in openly attempting to undermine the authority of the Catholic Church in writing and in pictures, I was, on the evening of 28 December 1936 (on the Festival of the Innocent Children), on a public street in the vicinity of Aschaffenburg, pulled out of a car and arrested by the Secret State Police (Geheime-staats-polizei, the Gestapo), and taken to Würzburg where I stayed for seven months in so-called "protective custody," and was not released before I promised to stay away from my present parish.


This parish was Mömbris near Aschaffenburg. So in the end from prisoner cell number 42 I moved to the parish of Hettstadt, in the summer of 1937, where I am now. In the months of May, June, and July, 1937 I could then take my notes and write the family chronicle. After my release from prison I collected and copied the necessary pictures. So then in 1939 I could present the Chronicle of the family in words and pictures to my brothers as a Christmas present.


Only with my dear brother Gustav was this not possible, due to the fact that he was in America and the new World War had just broken out. Only now through luck is there the possibility to bring the Family Chronicle to America with Mr. and Mrs. Teodor Gall from Stuttgart, who until this time have been out of America and staying in Germany and who have brought me many greetings from America. Unfortunately my dear brother cannot read it himself, since he returned to God in 1947. So Gustav's wife, my dear sister-in-law, will keep what was meant for Gustav. May this gift from Germany bring about much joy!


Hettstadt, 16 June 1952 August Wörner












History of the general area and the famliy before 1914




"In the prettiest of meadowlands is my "homeland" house; that led me many hours into the valley." This quote applies also to my parent's house in the small village of Gönz in a pretty meadow valley of the Bavarian Odenwald. The small village counts seven families with their own farms and has a chapel with two bells. Next to the chapel is the property of my parents: living house, stalls, barn, and the mill. The mill is already very old, as shown in the following record: In Weckbach in the local office is the "Lagerbook of Weckbach, printed 1779."


This book consists of handwritten extracts from the "Amorbach Jurisdiction Book from the years 1668", i.e. recordings from the village documents, of which the areas of Weckbach and Gönz were two. The following description of the mill from the year 1696 exists:






On the small rivers of Weckbach there are three mills: the Weckbach, the Wiesenthaler, and the Ohrenbacher mills. "The Weckbach springs from the royal Breubergischen Territoria in der Hangen.? the Weckbach mill has 1 milling wheel and 1 gear set.Gerbgang. Both of the others only a milling gear. In the Mills of Weckbach, Wiesenthal, Ohrenbach, Goenz, and Bullau (and also Weibach and Ruedenau) are banded together.


Die Weckbacher Muehle der Possessor vom Hohen Erzstift zu seinem Erbbestand hat, laut Bestandbrief von Fhr K Gn Johann Philisysev Hochseligen Andenkeus obe AA 1664, die beiden anderen Muehle aber den Possessoribus eigentuemlich u deshalb keine Bestandsbriefe noetig sind. Die Weckbacher Muehle soll jaehrlich 5 Meter Korn in die Amorbacher Kellere_ liefern. Weil aber die Mahlgaeste nicht alle befardert werden koennen, an diesen Pacht war ungefahr 24 Jahren haben Wiesenthal, Ohrenbach, Goenz je 1 Mltr u 1 Or abgenommen, duerften deshalb die betroffenden Ortschaften in ihrer Muehle mahlen lassen. [3] Die Weckbacher Muehla gibt auch 1 Mltr Korn zu Pachten ins Hospital zu Miltenberg?. Bei den Muehlen ist kein Frohn u brauchen auch keinen herrschaftlichen Hund zu halten. Baumaterialien zum Weckbacher Muehle muessen von Machtgaeft gegen Trank u Speis herbeigefuehrt werden.


The Mill in Goenz


"Wird die Gaenzen Muehl genannt. Der Possessor Niklas Brahm. Liegt auf dem sogenannten Goenzer Baechlein u entspringt sobhes ¾ Sfd hinter Goenz auf den Sansenhefs Wiesen?. Hat Mahl u 1 Gerbgang, aber keine gebannten Mahlgaeste, sondern Goenz nacher Weckbach gebannt ist, u weilen dieser Muehller von selbigem Muehlpacht 1 Mltr u 1 Sr Kron abgenommen hat; die Goenzen, so lang als dieser Pacht cum consensu des Weckbacher Muehllers bezgetragen wird, in dieser Muehl gebannt bleiben. Die Gebaude bestehen: In einem Muehlbau einem Wahnhans u 1 Scheuer, welchen der Muehler samt dem Wasserbau zu unterhalten schuldig ist Sobha Muehle gehoert dem Mueller eingentumlich, also keinen Bestandsbrief [3a]


nöthig hat. Welcher die Wach durf 2 bis 3 Mltr nicht zu mahlen hat. Kännte aber wohl Tag und Nacht 2 Mltr Amorbacher Mas mahlen. An Pacht wird sosnt keiner als die von der Mühle Weckbach angenommen 1 Mltr 1 Sr Korn zur Kurfürstleihen Kellerei geliefert samt Schazung von der Mühl u. 1 ½ Hubgut monadlich 1 1 8 xr, dem Kloster Amorbach aber, wohin Gönz samt der Mühlen vogte_lich ist die Zins gedallen. Die Mühl ist kein Frohe schuldig, auch keinen herrschaftlichen Hand zu halten hat. Keine wühte Mühlglatze sind allda; Ist der Müller keiner Fischere_ berechtigt, sondern die der Evsten dem Kloster Amorbach gehört."


So der Wortlaut aus der Beschreibung der Mühle v. J. 1696. Rechnet man laut obigem Vertrag nach 24 Jahre zurück, so kommt man zum Jahre 1672. Bis zu diesem Jahre ist alle die Gönzer Mühle als vorhanden urkundlich nachgewiesen.




The owner of the mill in 1696 is claimed to be Niklas Brahm (also spelled Brohm). According to church records from Amorbach Niklas Brahm was born in Gönz on 22 September 1670, and so was in 1696 26 years old. Further, it is recorded in the church records that "Benedikt Brahm, son of the miller Niklas Brahm in Gönz, died in 1709 having had all the sacraments."


Der Besitzer der Mühle war i. J. 1696, wie aber erwähnt, Niklas Brahm (auch Brohm). Laut Pfarrmartikel Amorbach ist ein Niklas Brahm geboren in Gönz am 22 September 1670, der dannach i. J. 1696 [4] 26 Jahre alt war. Weiter ist in den Pfarrbüchern genannt, "Benedikt Brahm, Sohn des Müllers Niklas Brahm in Gönz", der 1709 "versehen mit allen Sakramenten" starb.




When then did the first Wörner own the mill?


Wann würde nun ein Wörner Besitzer der Mühle?


The above mentioned church records call out a Georg Wörner, Miller, born on May 8, 1796 in Breitenbuch, married to Anna Maria (born Grimm) from Gönz. This man seems to have been from Breitenbuch, married and moved to Gönz and took over the mill.


Oben erwähnte Pfarrbücher nennen einen Georg Wörner, Müller, geb. Am 8. Mai 1796 in Breitenbuch, verheiratet mit Anna Maria geb. Grimm von Gönz. Dieser scheint als von Breitenbuch nach Gönz geheiratet u. die Mühle übernommen zu haben. Vergleiche Stammbaum.


The mill is still in operation today, although with a mechanical milling gear - until shortly after the world war (1st World War) the gears were run by hand. The mill often had a large waterwheel. Tied to it via a transmission system was a sewing machine in the barn?.


Die Mühle ist heute noch in Betrieb mit einem Mahlgang - Bis kurz nach dem Weltkrieg war auch der Gerbgang noch vorhanden. Die Mühle hat oft großen Wassermangel. An sie angeschlaffen ist in der Scheune die Futterschneidmaschine u. die Dreschmaschine durch eine Tramsmissionsanlage.


More in the section entitled "Childhood"




Wörner Family Tree




Karl Wörner, miller, Gönz, born 13 April 1853, died 18 May 1925


Rosina born Köchner, born Schwahmühle on 11 October 1853, died 7 June 1932


married Catholic on 1 February 1883 in Meckbach



1. Rosa, born? died shortly after birth


2. Joseph, born 6 February 1885, died 9 October 1917 near ?


3. Eugen, born 26 May 1887


4. Alfred, born 2 April 1889


5. Kilian, born ? ? 1891, drowned in 1892 or 93 in Mühlbach


6. August, born 22 March 1893


7. Gustav, born 26 June 1894


8. Karl, born 12 June 1897


9. Alfons, born 2 August 1899, his godparents, Prinz Luitgold von Fergnon????



Grandparents (father's side)


Franz Joseph Wörner, miller, Gönz, born 16 March 1828, died 1895


Eva Klara born Farrenkopf in Breitenbuch, 17 October 1830, died 1894



1. Karl, miller, in Gönz, ?.died 1925


2. August, farmer, married in Gönz, ? died 1915


3. Apollonia, married Bachmann in Bullau, ? died 1923


4. Heinrich, joiner, married in Bruchtal, ? died 1936


5. Oto, shoemaker, married in Kirchzell, died 1934


6. Eduard, wagonner, married in Frankfurt, died


7. Alois, 1894/1895 emigrated to America (Brooklyn), died 1934


8. Barba, married Gelm, Weckbach, died


9. Theresa, married Münz, Kirchfurt, still living


10. Gustav, cutter, married in Frankfurt, died



Great-grandparents (father's side)


Georg Anton Wörner, miller, born 8 May 1796 in Breitenbuch


Anna Maria born Grimm on 17 October 1795, died 16 February 1862


(daughter of Franz Joseph Grimm and Anna Maria Grimm born Grimm


in Gönz)




Grandparents (mother's side)


Franz Joseph Köchner, farmer, Watterbach, born 6 March 1821


Maria Klara born Frunk, Watterbach, born 3 June 1827


married Catholic 25 February 1851




Great-grandparents (mother's side)


Franz Valentin Köchner, farmer, Watterbach,


Anna Maria born Edelmann, Baqbrunn(?)


married Catholic 17 October 1815




[6] page removed




From Our Youth


"Schön ist die Jugend, die kommt nicht mehr."


"Youth is beautiful, but fleeting : "


The children who grew up on the lands where their parents owned their own house, farm, and property, stayed in the olden times pretty much on the same patch of homeland, as opposed to children of parents who rented homes and lived for a few years here, a few years there, etc. So we seven healthy babes lived a right happy and sunny youth, although we also had to learn early on the hardships and seriousness of life. The meadowland full of green, in spring especially with its enchanting flowers, the small stream, whose clear water hurries from bridge to bridge, over the waterwheel to give it power and then back into the flow.


These pictures live still in my memory. How often did I sit before the hurtling turning waterwheel in the meadow and watched the dreamy play of the waters, that shot out of the channel above the wheel, filled the wheels bucket, fell racing down, hurtling out and turning the mill works in the process. Other parts of the water flow shot radiantly over the wheel and splashed into the deeps.


This waterplay, the turning of the wheel with its rhythmic sound, the thousands of waterdrops that fell like crystal clear pearls from all sides of the waterwheel, gave voice to "dreams." "It has no rest by day or night, instead it wanders, the water." "Es hat nicht Ruh bei Tag u. Nacht, ist stets auf Wanderschaft bedacht, das Wasser." Then when in winter the waterwheel was frozen still, the mill looked like a crystal palace! Hundreds of small and large icicles some as big as 2 meters hung from the channels and the walls. My father, who had to free the wheel from its thick coat of ice with a pick and iron hammer, did not enjoy this image as much as I did!






Der Mühle gegenüber stand die ungefähr 70 Jahre alte majestatish emporragende Fichte, das weithin sichtbare Wahrzeichen für Gönz. Doch schon vor dem Kriege mute sie ihr stolz erhobenes Haupt hin zum Wiese neigen. Um noch ihrem Fall im Wohnhaus als Fußboden sich den Einwohnern nutzbar zu machen. ---


Da war am "Holzplatz" hinter dem Backofen der schräggewachsene Birnbaum, auf dessen Rücken u. Gliedern wir uns tummelten u. neckten. Auch er hat einer Holzhalle Platz mochen müssen. Neben dem Garten auf dem Rasen war der "Birnenstand", der in Körben ungefähr 20 Bienenwöhltker zählte, darunter ein Volk im Kasten, hinter dem ich als Gymnasiast in den Ferien manche Stunde lag, durch das nach rückwärts abshließende Fenster das Leben u. Treieben der Bienen studierend. Auch dieser Bienenstand ist nciht mehr.


Home, land, and meadow belonged as a playground to us, the miller's children, even when all of the surrounding land didn't belong to the miller! With us came the usual kids from the village and the horseplay went on in God's free nature. Every season had naturally its special childhood joys. In winter, snowball fights, sleigh riding from Bachmann's meadow down through the Chapel and Mueller's area right down to the fire house. And this not only with small sleighs but also with big tobaggans that could hold 10 people.


With a racing speed we drove with this large sled down through the meadow taking hard curves around the shed, which was not too seldom connected with a close brush with death. On one Sunday afternoon, I remember it, we slammed into the gate of the shed with a full, big sled and broke the middle door of the gate, which held the angel pictures. Thank God there were no injuries. Carefully we put the gate back together as if it had not happened, so that father would not notice! Of course we didn't ride anymore with the big sleigh on this day. The desire was gone!




In the spring we rode along with old barrels or wheels.


In the summer the water was our playground,


Im Sommer war das Wasser der Tummelplatz, wobei die Forellen "gestreichelt" u. geneickt wurden. Im Herbst wurde das Vieh auf Weide getrieben, Kartoffelkrautheuer gemacht u. in der Glut Kartoffeln gebraten; Rehe am Waldhaum beobachtet u. gefobbt.


Auch das Kirchenjahr brachte für uns reichliche Abrechtlung in den Freuden. Nicht zu beschreiben der Zauber, der über Advents- u. Weihnachtzeit lag! Da kam der Nikolaus, dessen Esel sich schon einige Tage vorher öfter abends am Fenster zeigte. Wir hörten das Klirren seiner Ketten u. sahen wirklich seinen Kopf mit den langen Ohren! Erklärung: Zwei Hölzer wurden kreuzweise in die Ohren einer Sammerfliegenkazze für Pferde gesteckt u. am Fenster auf u. ab bewegt. Dies sah aus, als ob der Esel (mit) des Nikolaus mit seinen langen Ohren am Fenster auf und abnickte und horchte.


So oft einer von uns am Abend ungezogen war oder heulte, rasselte die Kette und war des Nikolaus- u. später des Christkinds [9a] Esel am Fenster und horchte. Sofort hörte auch das Heulen auf u. waren wir wieder brav! Am vorabend des 6. Dezember kam dann der Nikolaus selbst, ohne seinen Esel dabei zu haben: Wilder bärtiger Mann- mehr Knecht Rupprncht als Nikolaus! - mit Sack u. Rute. Erst musten wir beten, dann wurden aus dem Sacke Äpfel u. Nüsse in die Stube geworfen u. nun ging der Kadau los. Durch Polsterung von Rücken u. Gesaß wohl vorbereitet, stürzten wir auf den Boden - den Äpfeln u. Nüssen nach. Jetzt trat des Nikolaus Zuchtruhe in Tätigkeit. Wir natürlich sachten bei unsrem Haschen Deckung unter Tisch, Bänken, u. Stühlen. Das war dann eine Gaudi! War der Nikolaus wieder fort, wurden die erhaschten Äpfel u. Nüsse gezählt um den "Tapfersten" zu erkenner.




Das war für uns Buben unumstößliche Wahrheit, daß Christkinds bei der oben erwäheten großen Fichte neben der [10] Mühle alljährlich vom Himmel herabfling! Wie oft schauten wir als Kinder in der Adventszeit dort hinauf, ob wir es nicht vielleict entdecken könnten. Ich sehe heute noch, wie wir Buben am hl. Abend auf der Ofenbank saßen in gespanntester Erwartung auf das Christkind, als der Vater, beim Ofen auf dem Stuhle sitzend, uns erzählte, daß das Christkind vom Himmel kommt, wobei mein Blick immer wieder einmal zum hinteren Stubenfenster hinaus nach der Fichte zu ging, ob ich's nicht sehen würde!


Da, plötzlich klingelt es- das Christkind ist schon vor der Türe! - Schlägt mit der Rute an die Tür- da ist es lebhastig! Und wie schön! Weißes Kleid, weiße Handschuhe, weißer Schleier über Kopf, Gesicht u. Nocken. Rufe in der Hand. "Gelobt sei Jesus Christus," sagt es mit ungelgleicher heller Stimme. "In Ewigkeit, Amen," antwortet der Vater. Es geht zum Vater und fragt, ob wir denn alla brav waren. Peinliche Frage! Wir waren es doch nicht! Doch der Vater macht's gnädig, verrät nicht unsere Übeltaten, sondern sagt nur: "Hätten schon manchmal bräver sein müssen." [10a] Aufatmen bei uns. Jetzt werden wir gegrüft, of wir auch beten können. Je nach Erfolg gibt es Lob oder Tadel.


Dann gab es einige Geschenke von an sich schon notwendigen Dingen für Schule u. Haus. Das Christskind geht zur Tür zurück- da flingen wieder wie beim Nikolaus Äpfel u. Nüsse in die Stube und rollen auseinander. Auch hier ähnliche Gaudi, wie am Nikolaustag. Hernach fragte das Christskind, ob wir auch einen Christbaum haben wollten. Selbstverständlich! Nun kommt erst der spannenste Augenblink- wenigstaus war er es für mich-: In Hausgang waren mittlerweile von den das Christkind durhs dort begleitenden Mädchen die Kerzen des Christbaumes angezündet worden.


Diese warten Licht- u. Schattenbilder vom mit allerhand funkelnden Kleinigkeiten beladenen Christsbaum an Türe u. Wand der Stube, ohne daß man den Baum selbst sehen konnte. Alle Bilder in zitternder Bewegung an der Wand. Dazu vom Hausgang her heller Lichtschein. Dieser Augenblick ist [11]mir unvergeßlich. Da - jetzt bringt das Christkind dem im Lichterglanz strahlenden Baum zur Türe herein. HimmlicheVerklärung! Unsers Augen leuchten vor Freude. - Mit einer nochmaligen kurzen Ermahnung an uns übergibt das Christkind die Rufe dem Vater zum weiterem Gebrauch bis zum nächsten Weihnacht. Und jetzt verabschiedet es sich wieder mit dem Gruße "Gelobt sei Jesus Christus." Die Rute allerdings mußte im Jahr ein oder mehrmals durh ???? andre ersetzt werden! Nicht dashelb, weil Vater die Haupterziehing gerne mit der Rute durchgeführt hätte, sondern weil wir halt 7 Buben waren und die Rute am Balken über dem warmen Ofen leichter dürr und brüchig wurde!


Gang zur Christmessa


Wie es heute noch in Bayern Brauch ist, war die Christmetta um Mitternacht 12 Uhr. Wir Gönzer mußten ¾ Stunde weit nach Weckbach wandern. Ob sternklare oder stockfinstere Nacht, ob Schnee, Regen oder Glatteis, wir gingen zuer Messe, truzzmeise mit [11a] oder ohne Licht, wie es notwendig war. Wie der Zug der Hirten zum Stall von Bethlehem, so kam mir dieser Gang vor. Wenn wir dann gegen ¾ 12 Uhr durh Meckbach kamen, brannten in jedem Haus der Familie Groh aus sah man das Kirchlein auf der Anhöhe und daran meist einen Meßdiener, der die glückenden Rauchfaßkohlen im Kreise schrang.


Je dunkler die Nacht, um so schöner dieser Feuerreifen. Bilder, die tiefen Eindruck auf mich machten, sodaß ich mich heute noch gerne ihrer erinnere. Die Christmesse im Darse mit zweistimmigen Weihnachtsliedern brachte noch besondere Feierstimmung. Vater und Mutter blieben gewöhnlich zue Hause, hielten zur Zeit der Christmesse Haus and acht, gingen dafür früh in die Hirtenmesse, während wir erst wieder zum Hahamt nach Weckbach kamen.






Am 27 Dezember, dem Fest des hl Evangelister Johannes, wurde in der Kirche der "Johanneswein" geweiht. Dieser wurde in der Familie am Neujahrstag früh nüchtern getrunken. Vor Einnahme des Morgenkaffees trank jedes Glied der Familie - der Vater fing an -ein wenig von diesem gesegneten Wein und aß ein Stückchen gesegnetes Brot dazu. Letzteres hatte die Mutter in Kleinen Laibchen, in welche gesegneter Wein gemischt war, "Konsecheläble" = gesegnetes Laibchen Brot. Der Schluck Wein u. das Stückchen Brot wurden mit großer Ehrfurcht genossen. Vom übrig gebliebenen gesegneten Brot gab der Vater dann auch dem Vieh im Stall etwas. Es sollte damit Gottes Segen auf Mensch und Tier fürs beginnende Jahr erfleht werden auf die Fürbitte des hl. Johannes u. der Kirche hin.


Jugendfreuden am Neujahrstag:


Der Taufpate von allen "Müllersbuben" mit Ausnahme von Jüngsten, Alfans, dessen [12a] Pate Prinzregent Luitzold von Bayern wurde, war Onkel August, der Bruder unseres Vaters, der "ins Franzebauern" geheiratet hatte. Wir kannten ihn nur unter dem Namen: "der Franzebauere Dofe". Am Neujahrstagmittag zogen nun wir 6 Müllersbuben aus zu "Franzebauern Dofe" wunschten ein "glückseliges neues Jahr" und nahm ein jeder seine 50 Pfennigsbratze in Empfang. Diese Bretze am Hals oder im Arme hängend, kamen wir freudestrahlend wieder im Elternhaus an.


Acht Tage lang ungefähr zehrten wir an unsere großen Bretzen. In der vorausgehanden Sylvesternacht so gegen 11-12 Uhr erschien der "Bloback von Weilbach" -erhatte einen sehr stark blutunterlaufen Backen - mit seiner Blechmusikkapella im Hof und blieb das neun jahr an. Nach einem lauten u herzlichen "Prost Neuahr" u einem Geldhändedruck von Vater, zogen die Musikanten weiter- zu andere Höfen und weiter nach Bapbrunn. Jemand meinte einmal, dies sei eine "blecherne Besselei"!






Daß es am Fastnachts Dienstag frisch gebackene "Faselküchli" und abends Bratwürste gab, die schon seit dem letzten Schlachttag zum Dörren über dem Ofen hingen, war selbstverständlich! Einige Buben, maskiert mit langem Bart, alten Kleidungsstücken von Großvater, die Ausenseite nach immer gekehrt, suchten von Haus zu Haus gehend, umringt von der übrigen Dorfjugend, einige komische Sprünge zu machen. Eine Wurst oder ein Stück Dörrfleisch war gewöhnlich der Lohn für ihre Auffährungen. Abends bei Einbruch der Dunkelheit wurde dann am Bopbrunner Berg "das Fastelrädchen springen lassen."




Schon einige Tage worfen wurde von der älteren Schuljugend Stroh, Riesig, u Kienholz gesammelt, ein langes armdickes Baumstämmchen geholt. Diese Material wurde zu einer dicken Walze um das Baumstämmchen in seiner Mitte gepackt und mit Draht fast verwickelt. Ferner suchte sich [13a] jeder Junge einen alten obgenutzten Birkenreisigbeten, verkeilte ihn mit Kienholz und umwickelt ihn fest mit Draht. Dieser Besen wurde auf einen Stecken gesteckt und die Fackel für die Abendfeier war fertig! Bei Einbruch der Dunkelheit begann der Aufbruch der Jugend mit "Scholzebauern Häibuckel."


Dort konnte man von allen Dorfbewohnern gesehen werden. Nun wurde erst die Walze am Baumstämmchen angesteckt und - gehalten an den äußersten Erden - brennend hier und hergetragen, bis das Baumstämmchen un der Mitte durchbrannte und brach. Jetzt wurden die Besenfackeln am Feuer angesteckt und los ging der Tanz! Die brennenden Farkeln lustig schwingend, rannten die Jungen wie toll auf der Anhöhe herum, während Ältere ohne Fackel am Feuer saßen und Lieder sangen.


Jung und alt, ob auf der Höhe oder im Talbei den Wohnungen, hatten Freude an diesem Schauspiel. "Faselrädchen springen lassen," wurde man diesen [14] Brauch, obwohl gar kein Rädchen sprang. Dieser Ausdruck dürfte an einen andere Brauch erinnern. Wie ich nämlich von Ältere Leuten einmal erfahr, hatte man früher an diesen Abend auf den andere Talseite vom "Bachmannsberg" herab ein altes Wagenrad springen lassen, das eben falls mit Stroh, Reisig und Kienholz ausgefüttert war und so brennend uns Tal wollte. Während sich alte der Brauch geändert haat, ist jedoch der alte Name geblieben.


Palm Sunday - Kartage - Easter


Am Palmsonntag wurde fast fingerdicke, lange Ralmstengel vom Palmbaum bei "Horde" geschnitten und zur Weihe nach Weilbach gebracht. Auf dem Heimweg suchte man gewöhnlich in den "Görtli" jenseits der Mudbrücke die erten Märzveilchen. Die Palmstengel kamen nach der Weihe in den einzelnen Stuben aus Kruzifix, ich glaube auch in den Wiehftall. Das selbe ist heute noch der Fall.


Die 3 Kartage, für die Erwachtenen Trauertage, waren für uns Buben natürlich Freudentage, weil wir klappern [14a]u. raspeln durften. Mittags um 12 Uhr zum Klappern hatten wir damals keinen inhaltreichen Spruch, wenn wir riefen: "Ha, he dis zwölfe!" Zum Abendgottesdienst sangen wir "Wir klappern das erste ---- zweite --- dritte Mal in die Kirch." Karfreitag früh hieß der Spruch: " Die Nacht ist vergangen, der Tag ist gekommen, das ist das Awe Maria" - der Tag ist gekommen, der Leiden und Todestag des Herrn. Am Karsamstag früh wurde beim Klappern gesungen:"Der Himmel ist offen, das Grab ist verschlossen, das ist das Ave Maria." Eier wurden fürs Klappern nicht gesammelt.


Daß wir am Karsamstag auch Nester des Osterhasen suchten, den die Mutter hat springen sehen, ist nicht zu verwundern. Manchmal hatte das Suchen Erfolg!






Am Osternfest Mittag eilten die 6 Müllerbuben wieder hinüber zu "Franzebauern Dote"- wobei manchmal die Hinterlürchen der Hohen noch aufstanden - um den "Osterhas" abzuholen. Jeder erhielt einen 50 Pfennigs Weckhas und 7 Eier. Arme Franzebauernenuctter!! Nach Empfang gings im Galopp wieder heim, Has und farbige Eier gezeigt, telwiese hingelegt, ein paar Eier in die Hand und Hinaus ging es wieder in Franznbauern Wiese." Die andere Buben kamen dazu. Eine Gruppe "pickte " gegenseitig mit den Eiern; wessen Eierschale eingeschlagen wurde, mußte das Ei dem anderem, dem Sieger, geben. Machmal wurde auch ein Gipsei dazwischen geschmuggelt um immer Sieger sein zu kommen!


Eine andre Partie spielt "Eierball." Wie bei Barlaufspiel, standen sich hier zwei Abteilingen gegenüber. Und um wurden die Eier hoch im Bogen gegenseitig hinüber und herüber geworfen, als wann die Eier Gummibälle seien. Diese farbigen, gesoffenen Eier zeigten dabei eine recht große Haltbarkeit. Dnn solange das Ei nicht auf ein Steinchen[15a] oder Hölzchen fiel in der weichen Wiese, zerbrach es nicht. Wehe aber, wenn letzteres geschah! Hoch empor spritzte dann die Soße oder die Bröckelchen, je nachdem das Ei hart oder weich gefallen war! Die meisten vom "Dote" erhaltenen Ostereier gingen im Laufe der zwei Ostertagee auf diese Weise "in die Brüche." Die Frede am Eierball aber war so groß, daß wir lieber auf den Genuß der Eier verzüchteten. Heute im Zeichen des zweiten Vierjahresplaneos wurde solches Spiel wohl unter Stafe stehen!


Fest Mariä-Himmelfahrt


Daß an Maria-Himmelfahrt auch die "Wörzbörde" = Kräuterbüschel gemacht und zur Weise in die Kirche gebracht wurde, sei der Vollständigkeit halber als Festbrauch nur kurz erwöhnt. Die geweihten Büschel wurde dann irgendwo unterm Dach aufgehoben und bei schweren Gewittern warf Mutter um Namen des Dreieinigen Gottes einen Teil ins Feuer um auf die Fürbitte der Gottesmutter und der Kirche hin von Blitzeinschlag bewahrt zu bleiben.




Religious Life in the Family










Aus der Schulzeit


We had to go to Weckbach to school daily, about 45 minutes away. Early at about 7AM the schoolchildren from Gönz assembled and off we went, happy, talking, running, prancing around, doing "heroic" deeds, and sometimes even learning biblical history on the way, our bookbags on our backs. Coats for the cold weather we did not use. A cap and perhaps some gloves that we got for Christmas gave us protection from the cold. It was best when it rained or snowed hard or when it had just snowed a great deal and there was no path through the snow. Then we were able to stay home and our mother got angry at our exuberance! Sometimes we would wait with yearning looking at the sky, to see if would rain soon!


With the daily march to and from school we were healthy and tough, and had a fresh appearance, which the priest from Weilbach Father Roth praisingly noticed. Healthwise we were above and beyong the Weckbach children. Whether we Gönzers were any more clever than the Weckbachers, I have no idea! With the school children in the city though we could not compete. This I learned surprisingly fast when I was eleven, after Easter, 1904, when thanks to cousin Heinrich Rächner from Schrahmülle, (now in Neustadt on the Saale river) I was transplanted to Bensheim and took the entrance exam to the Gynmasium (German high school) and? failed!


So began my path to the priesthood! My Aunt in Bensheim sent me for another year to the Volkschule, where logically I got several slaps with the wood across the hands for my poor lessons. This schoolyear was particulary hard for me. In the following years I passed the entrance exam to the Gynasium and really began my course of study toward the priesthood. I had it difficult also in my 9 years in the Gymnasium, but prayed and trusted in God. In 1914 I completed the Gynasium with success, no classes repeated. 44 students were in my class all the through. (20 other graduating students came to the Gynasium at other times.) Of these 44, only 4 graduated in Easter, 1914 with success. I was not clever, but dense, guess I rode to much on a mule!




For ten years I lived with my dear relatives Franz Mang, court bailiff, and Maria Mang, born Rächaer, from Schrahmühle, in Fehlheimerstrasse 15. I feel a duty to pay honor to this family here out of thanks to them. They made it possible for me to go to school and become a Priest.


How did I come to these studies in Bensheim?


Wie es zu meinem Studiem kam? Dies hat mir mein Vater einmal auf der Wiese beim Heumachen erzählt, da ich als Kaplan mal einige in Ferien zu Hause weilte. Da sagte Vater zu mir, "daß du Priester geworden bist, dafür bedanke dich mal bei der Muttergottes in Dieburg." Ich horchte erstaunt auf und[25] fragte, wieso? Nun erzählte er, daß er oft nach Dieburg mitgewollfahrtet _ am Feste Maria Geburt. Ei einer solchen Wallfahrt habe er morgens schon früh Alumnen vor dem Gnadenbilde knieen und so andächhtig beten sehen.


Hier habe er bei der Gottesmutter den Munsch geäußert, wenn doch auch einer von seinen Buben Priester werden könnte. Und dieser Wunsch sei in Erfüllung gegangen. Leider habe ich, was ich zu meiner Schande gestehen muß, der Gottesmutter von Dieburg diesen Dank an ihren Gnadenolter noch nicht abgestettet, will es aber als bald tun, wenn ich wieder dem Gefängnis enflossen bin. Einmal machte ich die Wallfahrt mit Vater nach Dieburg mit und zwar tatsächlich als Alumnus am 8 Sept 1914, also kurz nach Kriegsausbruch. Hatte damals allerdings keine Ahnung, was ich Vater und der Gottesmutter von Dieburg verdankte.


Am 8 Sept. 1903 dürfte Vater in Dieburg gewesen sein. Am Weißensonntag 1904 war Vater in Bensheim zur Erstkommunionfeier- wohl von Vetter Josef Mang. Als Vater zurück nach Gönz kam, erzählte er, daß Tante Maria ihn gefragt habe: Ihr habt so viel Buben daheim, will [25a] da keiner studieren, schickt einen rüber, er soll hier studieren. Und nun stellte Vater lächelnnd an uns Buben diese Fragen. An Alfred war gedacht, daes Alters wegen. Der ober sagte ungefähr; "Nach Banesheim geh' I, aber studieren tu I nitt." Dann meldete ich mich und erklärte mich beweit. Die Zeit drängte, da das neue Schuljahr mit Neuaufn?. Schon am Montag nach Weißensonntag begonnen hatte.


Vater schrieb wegen der großen Eile für sobhen Entschluß nach Bensheim ab. Kaum war dieser Absagebrief in Bensheim angekommen, da schickte Tante Vetter Heinrich, der gerade als Student in Ferien dorten weilte, sofort mit der Bahn über Michelstadt nach Gönz um mich holen zu lassen. Am Samstag Nachmitag gegen 3 Uhr kam er zur größten Überraschung aller in Gönz an; gegen 5 Uhr waren die Eltern überredet und zu gleicher Stunde zog ich mit Mutter und Vetter Heinrich zum Dorfchen hinaus nach Michelstadt in "Billigen Laden" zur Neueinkleidung.


Die Bauernhofe, die bis zum Knöchel reichte, wurde mit [26] der städtischen damals in der Mode gewehenen. "Punchphohe" weite Hose, vom Knie ob noch innen eingeschlagen und durch Gummizug über dem Knie festgehalten, sodaß die weite Hose von außen gesehen etwas über das Knie hinabreichte, dazu die langen bis oberhalb des Kniees reichenden Strumzte, die neuen leichten Schuhe. Alles ganz ungewohnte Dinge. Aus einem Bauerbüble war innerhalb weniger Stunden ein "Städter" geworden.


Zum Gluck war es nachts gegen halb 10 Uhr, als ich neben Mutter u. Vetter zur Bahn meine Gehverhuche machte! Manche Einzelheiten könnte ich drüber noch berichten, so hat sich diese Sache damals bei mir eingeprägt! Ich höre heute noch kurz vor dem Abschied in Gönz vom Vater sagen: "Da läßt man die Buben studieren, gibt das viele Geld aus, hintenachwerden sie dann keine Pfarrer." Wahrscheinlich sollte dies auch ein Wink sein für Vetter Heinrich, der gerade vor dieser Berufsentscheidigung stand und scheinbar kein Priester mehr werden wollte. Diese Wörte des Vaters habe ich mir gemerkt und wollte ich ihn nicht enttäuschen.


Wie die Aufnahmeorüfung in Bensheim aus gefallen ist, habe ich aber chon berichtet. [26a] In den folgenden Jahren ist mir Bensheim zur zweiten Heimat geworden. Ich gehorte zur Familie Mang, wie wenn ich ihr eigenes Kind gewesen wäre. War also zu den 7 Kinder der Familie das achte! Die Leute von Bensheim kennen mich auch nur unter dem Namen "Mangs August!"


Tiefreligiöses Leben herrschte in dieser Familie. Früh gemeinsames Aufftehen, während des Maschens und Ankleidens betete Tante schon laut von ihren Dritterdens gebeten. Waren wir mit Ankleiden fertig, stellte wir uns alle vor das Hausaltärchen und wurde das Morgengebet gemeinsam gebetet. Dann erhielten wir Weihwasser un der gleichen Weise, wie dies unten zum Schlafengehen geschildert ist. Nun gingen wir fort zuer Kirche. Ich war als bald Ministrant geworden un der Hospitalkirche bei meinem Religionslehrer=ert Professor May zur zeit Prädat und Domkapitular in Mainz, später Professor Gochle zur zeit in Bensheim im Ruhestand. - zu Hause stand die Kaffeekanne mit "Kopfstchützer" auf dem zum Frühstück gedeckten Tisch, sodaß wer von der Kirche heimkam, sofort frühstücken und in seine Schule eilen konnte.


[27] Onkel hatte als Gerichtsvollzieher sehr schweren Dienst wegen der weiten Wege zu Fuß in die Dennsalddärfer. Zugleich war sein Dienst nicht ohne Gefahr, denn wer sieht den Gerichtsvollzieher gerne im Hause?!


Wenn er zum Dienst nach (auß) auswärts ging, riefen ihm seine Kinder beim Weggang von Hause zu: "Adee, liebe Papa, komm wieder gut heim, der liebe Gott sei bei Dir." Tod müde von den Strapatzen und Aufregungen kam er dann oft abends erst spät nach Hause. Obwohl er in seinen Diensthandlungen wie Gerichtskoften abholen, Pfänden ___. Den Leuten, bei denen er einlehren mußte, keine Freuden machte, war er doch sehr geachtet und geschätzt, weil sie auch sein gutes Herz kennen und wußten, daß er so milde und entgegenkommend war, als es sein Amt zu ließ.


Am Samstag Nachmittag dürfte ich ihn öfter auf seinem Dienstgang in die Odenwalddörfer begleiten. Auf dem Heimweg am Abend wudrde da regelmäßig der Rosenkranz gebetet, den er stets bei sich in der Tasche trug. In den letzten Jahren seines Lebens da er im Ruhestand war, hielt er, wie ich hörte, auch dan Herz-Jesu-Freitag und war beiden Ehrenwache des festen Herzens [27a] Jesu. Eigenartige Fügung der göttlichen Vorsehung: Am 2. Okt 1933, am Herz-Jesu Freitag, zur Stunde seiner Ehrenrache, starben wohl versehen mit den hl. Sterbetakranenten und wurde am Rosenkranzfestsamstag zu Grabe getragen. Lieber Onkel, nun halte Ehrenrache vor dem allheiligen dreieinigen Gott!


Das Abendgebet wurde selbstverständlich ebenfalls gemeinsam vor dem Hausaltärchen verrichtet. Danach nahm jedes der Kinder Weihwasser, brachte den Tropfen am Finger zu Onkel und Tante. Diese nahmen ihn ab und bekreuzten damit das Kind, das dann ihnen die Hand gab mit den Worten: "Nacht, lieber Papa?Mama, schlaf gut, der lb Gott sei bei Dir, gelobt sei Jesus Christus." Nach dieser "Zeremonie" wurde das Bett aufgesucht, während Onkel und Tante fürsich gewöhnlich nach weiter beteten.


Das Hausaltärchen bildete eine Kommode. Darauf stand ja nach dem Monat eine ungefähr ¾ Meter hoho Figur vom hlst Herzen Jesu od der Gottesmutter od der h Josefs, hl Alarzius, dessen Sanntoze alljährlich gehalten wurden von uns. Rings [28] herum ruf der Kammode war reichlicher Blumenschmuck, den meist ich besorgen durfte. Jede Woche eilte ich ein od zwei mal in den "Niederwald" und halte Laubwerk und Blumen fürs Hausaltarche, die dann Bäschen Kätchen meine derzeitige Hausälterin, schön einordnete und aufs Altärchen stellte.






Josef Wörner


Taken from the official records of the War Rolls


Born 16 February 1885 in Gönz.


Active service from 19 October 1906 to 26 September 1909 with the 19th Inf. Reg't, 6th Comp. in Erlangen.


At the outbreak of the war he went to the 8th Bavarian Inf. Reg't, 11th Comp., 5 August 1914.


Ranks and Decorations: Military Service Cross, III Class, 25 Sept. 1915, Iron Cross II Class 29 June 1916


From 9 August 1914 - 20 March 1916 in the field


From 20 March 1916 - 27 March 1916 Field Hospital in Athias


From 27 March 1916 - 7 September 1916, 11th Comp, Inf. Reg't 8


From 7 September 1916 - 19 February 1917, 4th M.G.K., Inf. Reg't 8


From 19 February 1917 - 9 October 1917, 11th Comp, Inf. Reg't 8


On 21 August 1917 promoted to Private First Class




20-21 August 1914, Battle in Lorraine


22 August - 14 September 1914, Battle of Nancy-Epinal


27 September - 6 October 1914, The Somme


6-22 October 1914, Delaying Action by Montanban


30 October - 24 November 1914, Battle of 1st Ypres




25 Nov. - 14 Dec. 1914, Delaying Action by Vytschaede


14 Dec. - 24 Dec. 1914, December Battle in Flanders


25 Dec. 14 - 5 March 1915, Trench warfare near Vytschaede


28 Mar 15 - 22 May 1916, Trench warfare on the Somme west of Peranne


17 June - 26 July 1916, Battle of the Somme


11 Sept. 1916, Battle for the Magnita


14 Sept 1916, Battle on the Ornchni


15-27 Sept 1916, Trench Warfare on the Cimbroslara-mala


28 Sept - 17 Oct 1916, Positional Actions in the Prislap Passes


4-27 Oct. 1916, Defensive Battles in Gyerpyv Mountains


25 Nov-26 Dec 1916, Defensive Battle in Gynes Area


27 Dec 16 - 9 Jan 17, Shift of the Division in January towards Galizia, Positional Actions in the seven villages of Greby-Carpathia


10 Jan-20 May 1917, Trench Actions near Brody


25 Jun-3 Aug 1917, Battle in Flanders


12 Aug- 29 Sep 1917, Battles along the Siegfried Line


5 - 9 Oct 1917, Defensive Battles in Flanders


Additionally, the personal details


On 20 March 1916 admitted to Field Hospital 3, Althias (Kraelza)


"9 October 1917 just before 6:30AM killed near Breelaera (in Flanders) by an artillery shell. The body could not be recovered or buried. (probably Beselaere near Ypres)


He had no blemishes on record


In the field, 11 November 1917


by Hafner, Regimental Lieutenant and Company Leader"






Eugen Wörner


(private report)


Before the War


Born: 26 May 1887 in Gönz


On 21 October 1908 as a recruit assigned to the 17th Royal Bavarian Infantry Regiment, 9th Company in Germersheim, for 2 years service. On 29 September 1910 discharged.


On 26 October 1913 I was called to 4 weeks of reserve training with the Royal Bavarian 8 Inf Rgt. 10th Company and on 22 Sep 1913 released as Reservist II Class.




On 4 August 1914, I was again called up to the 17th Bavarian Infantry Regiment, 9th Company, and went with this unit into the field. On 8 August 1914 I passed by some mill piles and areas of previously fierce fighting, by which already much blood had flowed. We detached here, we went further at night in the direction of Luneville and Nancy. There we spent several days under heavy barrage. We were again relieved and were to get some rest. [34] This rest lasted however only 2 or 3 days, when we were once again marched near Verdun and had to fight a hard positional engagement. After about 8 days we were relieved again, the regiment was reinforced and we loaded up near Metz for the 2 or 3 day ride in the direction of Lille.


There we went forward very quickly. We reached the front once again by Arras near Amiens - St. Quentin. Out from there we came to Ypres, Castle Hollebecke. On 5 November 1914 just before 1 in the afternoon we made an advance from the streets of Ypres forwards, that was however unsuccessful. The French had prepared themselves well. We were then in a mess, we could move neither backwards nor further forwards. I found myself in a sumptuous meadow or lawn. Everything around me was fallen down. A little brook ahead was to be my cover.


As I reached the brook, I found in there a comrade. We both laid there down in the brook. The water flowed over us. As soon as we straightened ourselves up a bit, there came upon us a hail of bullets. Into the night we had to suffer this terrible situation. At night just before 11PM [34a] there came a sergeant with about 20 men from behind up to us, and we worked ourselves about 50 meters into the meadow. At the end of the meadow there was before us a 2 to 3 meter high hill. On the front edge of this hill was a paling fence behind which the French were emplaced. Hurriedly at our feet we dig ourselves our foxholes. And as soon as they were finished they were filled with weapons. It was as if we were on the first floor and the French on the second. On the 6th of November we pinned in on the right and left side by the enemy, also in foxholes.


On the second night there were only two men left alive. The two of us, during the day, considered rather peacefully that we were deadmen. At dusk we opened our cannisters and ate something, although we did not have any hunger. Then we decided to crawl back through the meadow. At about midnight my comrade began the nightly retreat. A drinking container that hanged on his knapsack made a noise when he brought his weapon up against it. [35] A heavy fire by the French led to his death. About 20 meters next to me lay the body of my dear comrade.


I was the only one left! What to do? Thick fog, that came just before the morning, brought my rescue. About 4 in the morning I hung my knapsack up very silently. I kept my breadbag and weapon in my hand. With great care I crawled slowly backwards and came once again to the small brook. From here I knew approximately how far away the forest was. I crawled in the brook towards the forest, so that I could then run back. When I got to the forest, I heard several voices, and noticed immediately that they were not German. I crawled a little bit back and came to the right corner of the trench, took a careful look in and saw that they really were Frenchmen.


Four men were playing cards, the others were sleeping. Slowly I crawled back to the brook, about 30 meters or so, listened - everything quiet. Now I stood up slowly in the dense fog and walked step by [35a] step back to our line. After about 50 meters I came to the place of my company, was noticed by my company and the fire opened up on me. The French also were not asleep and answered the fire. With a loud voice I yelled "Don't shoot, your own troops here". Finally, at about 6AM on the 7th of November, under the protection of the thick fog, I returned once again to my company. To my great surprise I found out that during the attack now three days ago only a small part of our company had gone forward.


No dry clothes were on my body, and therefore I had to completely change my uniform. After a strengthening with some coffee I was called to the commander and told him of the experiences of the past three days. He gave me the good news that we were to get some relief at 11AM and would get some rest, and that I could get some sleep for as long as I needed. I imagined this to be too good to be true and so it came to be. We were relieved from the front at about 11AM, moved about 300 meters to the right behind the II Batt., and then at about 1 in the afternoon again inserted into the line. That was the relief!




As we retreated spinging along over the high-lying field at about 1PM, an enemy bullet from the high streets ahead. I dove for cover. A horrible picture: my weapon was still in the street. I myself was laying in the ditch beside the street with my knapsack. The boot of my left leg hung over my left shoulder. I didn't know what was going on and checked myself over. Then I grabbed the boot with both hands and threw it forwards. There I first saw that I had been shot in the left thigh and that the leg was broken! "Friedalin Eck aus Bullau" (an idiom I do not recognize, I suspect it means some curse.) I fell on my feet. That was on 7 November 1914. Here I had to lay until about 9PM until I could be carried back.


I was taken next to military hospital number 7. On 23 November 1914 we we transported to the regional military hospital at Neuwied am Rhein, where I spent 9 months. Here I was visited by Brother August, who was studying for the priesthood in the seminary of Mainz. After my recovery I was transferred to the Recovery Company near Germersheim. I stayed here until 24 February 1917, when I was assigned to the 1st Replacement Battalion 17th Regiment.




On 28 February 1917 I returned to the field with the Bavarian Artillery Battalion Number 8. The record of the battles and experiences are listed in the official troop records. To that I add the following: From 1 July until 4 July 1918 during the stalling actions between the Oise, Aisne, and the Marne, where I through a unlucky accident broke my left collarbone. Therefore 4 weeks in a military hospital, then vacation leave and the end of the war.


[37] [37a] [38] [38a] removed




Alfred Wörner


(private report)


Born on 2 March 1889


Recalled on 15 July 1915 to Infantry Replacement Battalion Untertranken II Camp Hammelburg. After 8 weeks of preparation I came to the 9th bavarian regiment in Würzburg. I went to the field on 29 December 1915 towards Pontaventin near Lenz, 9 Regiment, 4th Company, in France. Was wounded on 15 December 1916 near Hulluck by grenade shrapnel on both upper arms, left hand, left side, and right thigh. Back to the military hospital #8 of the II Bavarian army company in Karvvien, and from there to the hospital in Kassel.


Here I stayed 8-9 weeks, then to the special recovery center in Kassel. When I left Kassel I was more than a little surprised to get my gear back, and in my left rear pocket my prayer book, in my notebook (both shot through), and in a piece of leather from my body belt found pieces of shrapnel! I have taken it as divine providence that the shrapnel did not go any further. It was a piece of shrapnel as big as a finger knuckle, [39a] and it would have killed me.


At the beginning of July 1916, I went to Würzburg to the planning company. At the first muster I was assigned by the company sergeant as a stretcher bearer along with other comrades. Immediately for us there began a stretcher bearer course that lasted 14 days. At the end of June 1916 back into the field to Bovursk in Russia to the 11th Bavarian First Aid Company, 11th Division = socalled flying Inf division.


We drove to Brest-Litovsk, and from there on foot to Bovursk to the 11th Bavarian First Aid Company. We were here for approximately 2 months. It was somewhat peaceful here. Only a russian airplane visited us every few days and threw some bombs down. We called him "Bomber-fritz." We had already made preparations here for the winter, when we were suddenly called back to Romania.


Then we made very great marches, 30-40 km per day. One day we learned that we were to go into the mountains for 3 to 4 days. We were rested and resupplied for 2 days, the horses and wagons stayed back. We marched through the Vulkan mountains. There hated by the Romanians.(?) The [40] battle troops had already gone through. We built a patrol perimeter. And yes the wounded were put to use as members of the patrol teams. I was with the front patrol and we had telephone contact with the infantry. On the second day there was already some wounded and now we went constantly forwards and backwards. Then another message: many wounded, hurry up here!


On the third day we were completely exhausted, we hadn't had anything more to eat and got no relief nor supplies. We looked for food by the dead, who were laying all around. By a dead Romanian I found a piece of white bread, that we brotherly shared with one another. Out patrol leader called us, and we were given 18 romanian prisoners to watch. Then came the order not to send the wounded back, but to keep then with us. On the afternoon of the fourth day we had the mountains behind us and came to the first town, Babriza(?) The civilians were gone, and the pigs ran free all around. Out of necessity we killed a pig [40a] to satisfy our torturous hunger, and we stayed the night here. On the next afternoon we headed out again.


The battle troops had in the morning already moved out. Then just after we left Babriza a romanian patrol ran into us. We all ran off. Our stretchers and equipment lay in the street. We sprang crazily in many different direction back. The prisoners ran with us also. We hurried sideways across a meadow under and through plum trees to the end of Babriza. As we got over our initial fear and looked around at ourselves, we found that we were only 3 stretcher bearers and several prisoners. We took the prisoners immediately inside a house and made them understand that they were to stay there.


Now we stood watch, looking out from every side to see what was coming. I stood on a street corner that looked back on Babriza. The other two stood on the other side looked in other directions. Then I saw a romanian soldier turn a corner. [41] When he saw me, he went immediately back and disappeared. In a short time one of my comrades saw the patrol on the far ground past the field, and they were coming in our direction. Now we had to hide ourselves, but where?


Somewhat on the other side of the meadow there were three haystacks, and every haystack was surrounded by a one meter high hedge fence. We hid in the middle haystack. But this was not so easy as we had thought. The hay sat so heavily that we could only with great effort tear out a couple armfuls. We then sat ourselves on the ground with our backs against the haystack and covered ourselves with the hay. I sat in the middle, my two comrades left and right of me. It was pouring down raining. We listened- then we heard footsteps- closer and closer - closer and closer. We didn't move an eyelash, and hardly breathed. The patrol came right by the haystacks - one of them was so close, I could have spit in his face! He had the weapon under his arm, stopped and stared at the ground! The went directly to the place where they had seen us before. Soon after we heard some commotion near the house.


Probably the expected to find us there, but instead of us they found the prisoners that we had put there. Thank God this fright was over! But we really did not yet know, what actually was going on. It got busier and busier in the street, one heard noises and shouts. Night came, and went seemingly peacefully. On the next morning we heard something different, and we could have believed that the devil himself was coming through! Romanian artillery was roaring through the street. Now we knew that the Romanians had been broken. We discussed what we should do: stay here and starve or willingly surrender? If we only knew what they would do with us! So we sat there completely drenched, because it had been raining the entire day. Night came again and once again no way of escape for us.


As the next [42] morning broke, thick fog lay over Babriza. Now we made our way out. We tied a white handtowel onto a stick to show that we were prepared to give ourselves up. One of us went out, I followed with the stick with the white handtowel, and the third behind me - over the meadow - through the plum orchard, we came once again to the street where we had been surprised before. A look to the left - right - the streets were clean - we ran quickly over to a ditch that ran along the mountainside. Soon we had Babriza behind us - always travelling in ditches - we knew approximately the direction to the Germans. Then we were found some telephone wire and knew that we were on the correct path. Before night fell we ran into a beat-up Hussar regiment that was coming from the other direction. We told them about our experience. The captain stopped by immediately and debriefed us. Now it was easy for us. We stayed the night with the Hussars.


On [42a] the next morning we began again our search for our company and we found them again on the thrid day. We had just been put on the company's list of the missing. The difficult days we had behind us. One could easily see that we had been through a lot. We stayed for several days in the same place, were resupplied, and sent back on our way. In the meantime our company had lost several drivers, and therefore I was now assigned as an assistant driver. I drove, together with a comrade from Kleinheubach, an ambulance that was pulled by four horses. The drive continued further and further through the Vulkan pass. Men were already saying that we were not far from the capitol, Bucharest.


One day, it was the end of November, we were sitting comfortably on the wagon. Of course today my horses did not want to go any further. From the wagon I could not get them moving. I therefore got down on the shaft arms in order to command them better, [43] lost my balance and fell on the left side between the horse and the forward wheel. The wagon ran over my back and over my right shoulder. I still had the presence of mind to, with a powerful kick, throw myself to the side so that I would not be run over by the rear wheel. Two men got to me immediately, picked me up and shoved me again into the wagon. In this position I stayed the entire day until late into the night. As soon as quarters were set up, I searched for a doctor and presented an injury of the right shoulder. On thenext morning I was allowed to stay back with a few other slightly injured men. Here I met a driver whose foot had been run over by a car.


We both gave each other mutual assistance. He had only one healthy foot and I had only one healthy arm! We were both alone in a locksmith's shop. At the suggestion of the driver, it was decided, that we would halt the first car that was to come, so that it could take us to the military hospital. The plan [43a] was successful. The wished-for car came quickly, we shouted loudly to halt it, and it did. The car was on a reconnaissance trip, but we didn't mind, we jumped in and headed off. We thought the auto could not go far enough, because there was nowhere around here a german military hospital. But after about 80 km we came finally in the night to Karagal, where we found the first german military hospital.


Because of the heavy overcrowding we could only spend the one night here. Early the next morning a company of slightly injured men was put together, those that could still walk, and I was included. My comrade stayed behind. We had to make a day's march until we reached Kraiova. Very tired, without a shirt or underwear I arrived here at the hospital. I was in such a state before, that I decided to get rid of this agony and throw away my shirt and underwear. As underwear I wore machinist's smock and underpants! In Kraiova I stayed until the end of January 1917.




After that I was ordered once again to the troops. I had to search for my company again, and drove off early with a military train in the direction of Bucharest in the hope to find them there. Chance however was that I had already found the company, namely that the military train stopped at midday at a station for provisions. My company was on the way back >from Bucharest and was being provisioned at the same station. I immediately made myself known to the sergeant, who welcomed me with much joy. I changed off of the train and drove with my company on a ten-day strolling trip to Resenheim near Münich.


Here we had a "legal escape" for awhile. Then the trip went further to Ressfeld in Alsace, we stayed for three weeks in peace. From here I was assigned with 17 others once again to First-aid Company #19, that was stationed in the "Drei Öhre", a place of pligrimage. From there I was posted to the first aid station in Münster in the pretty Münster valley. Here we were 12 stretcher bearers, a [44] staff sergeant, a sergeant, a junior doctor, a driver with two horses, and an ambulance. There was also a cleric with us. Our work area was: Reichsackerkopf, Mönchberg, Hohret, Klingle, and Stoßweiter. From these places we had to pick up wounded who were then taken to the field hospital in Türkheim. On this post I stayed 1 ½ years until the end of the war, and I must say that here I experienced the nicest days of the entire war. A half an hour from Münster was Hohrot. Here there were several farming families from whom I got milk every evening for our post. There was also here the famous Münster beetle.


We had on our post a guest from Münich who was a good musician. He had a zither (like a lap guitar or a lap harp) that he could play very well. There was a bowling alley that we made much use out of. Every Sunday we had Mass, which I especially looked forward to. Towards the end of the war [44a] I became sick. I laid for 14 days in bed, when suddenly the order came that all of the sick had to be transported away. I was driven on the same day to Türkheim; from there with the train to Colmar. A hospital train was waiting here. However we had to spend the night in Colmar.


We boarded the hospital train early the next morning and waited to depart. We waited - and waited - outside stood the train staff with small suitcases and lanterns, but they did not board. Suddenly they hurried aboard. "What's going on?" we asked. That was the coup. The hospital train did not depart. A high-ranking officer who was with us talked to the station commander and found out that in ten minutes there was another personnel train and that was to be the last. We changed trains and soon reached Freiburg on the other side of the Rhine. There I went to the Soldier's Counsel, got my release pass and drove home.


Decorations: Wounded Badge in Black with document